Lin met with John (and his girlfriend Barb) in August at Bednesti (road side restaurant west of Prince George). Although very cordial he made it very clear that although he was pleased to meet her he was very happy with the family he had and would need more time to think about this new situation.
One month later, in September, the next phone call came – “I think we have another sister as well!”
Turns out a lady (Janet) from near Lloydminster, Alberta (on Ab-Sask. Border) had recently resumed her search for her missing family and we were it! Janet, as well, knew she was adopted and even knew our surname.
After spending seven years trying to find us she had postponed her search until her adopted brothers had found their families. The reunions were not positive and had discouraged her from seeking her own reunion.
After much encouragement from her husband and family she finally scraped up the courage and made the call.
Because of the distances involved it took awhile to arrange a reunion where we could all get together at the same time. Lin graciously volunteered to hold it at their place (most central and biggest yard).
By the time the date rolled around the following summer all our Aunts and Uncles and most of the cousins showed up to welcome the new members of the family.
A wonderful weekend zipped by as we all got to know each other, stories were told and old pictures were drug out from the back of storage rooms.
It has now been eleven years since that amazing summer of '94' when our family grew by three.
As is typical with most families some members keep in closer touch with each other than others do, but I am positive if you ask any one of us we would tell you we are very pleased and proud of our new siblings and all of our lives have been greatly enhanced.
In the ‘how small the world is’ department some interesting revelations came to light:
- John lived had lived within 2 miles of my parents for over 5 years.
- John also made regular business trips to Vanderhoof where Lin lived
- Lee and I had lived within 1 block of each other in Vancouve
- John had frequented a restaurant in Whitehorse where Lee worked.
- Lin also lived in the Yukon at this time and had made regular trips to Whitehorse.
- Janet and her family visited both a hotel, while I was the assistant manager, and a restaurant that I was managing in Lloydminster, Ab.