People Liked Him
People like him, not because he was rich or known to fame;
He had never won applause as a star in any game.
His was not a brilliant style, his was not a forceful way,
But he had a gentle smile and a kindly word to say.
Never arrogant or proud, on he went with manner mild;
Never quarrelsome or loud, just as simple as a child;
Honest, patient, brave and true; thus he lived from day to day
Doing what he found to do in a cheerful sort of way.
Wasn’t one to boast of gold or belittle it with sneers,
Didn’t change from hot to cold, kept his friends throughout the years,
Sort of man you like to meet, any time or any place,
There was always something sweet and refreshing in his face.
Sort of man you’d like to be; balanced well and truly square;
Patient in adversity, generous when his skies were fair.
Never lied to friend or foe, never rash in word or deed,
Quick to come and slow to go, in a neighbors time of need.
Never rose to wealth or fame, simply lived and simply died,
But the passing of his name left a sorrow far and wide.
Not for glory he’d attained; nor for what he had of pelf,
Were the friends that he had gained, But for what he was himself.
He has achieved success -
- who has lived well, laughed often and loved much;
- who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children;
- who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;
- who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved recipe, a perfect poem or a rescued soul;
- who has never lacked appreciation of Earth’s beauty or failed to express it;
- who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had;
- whose life was an inspiration;
- whose memory a benediction